Glitter snared in Savile probe 28/10/2012 16:54 CET
Farage revels in UKIP’s success in local polls 04/05/2013 09:36 CET
Healthy UK services sector raises recovery optimism 03/05/2013 13:43 CET
UK child sex scandal widens as veteran TV presenter… 03/05/2013 15:06 CET
Thatcher funeral held in London 17/04/2013 13:05 CET
Deputy Speaker of the House of Commons, Nigel Evans has been released on bail after his arrest for alleged rape and sexual assault on two men.
The victims were reportedly in their twenties at the time of the attacks though an exact age has not been given.
The 55-year-old Conservative MP was taken into custody on Saturday morning.
The alleged offences took place between July 2009 and March 2013.
The MP for Ribble Valley since 1992 became one of three deputy speakers in 2010 and came out as openly gay in December of that year.
Evans regained the Lancashire constituency seat in north west England comfortably in 2010, but if the case causes a by-election it will mean a further headache for Prime Minister David Cameron.
The PM already saw support leak to the UK Independence Party (UKIP) in the local elections last week, as well as in the Eastleigh by-election in which UKIP pushed the Conservative Party into third place.
More about: Arrest, British politics, Political scandal, Sex scandal, United Kingdom
Copyright © 2013 euronews
… Read More
The victim, 28, was on a 24-hour leave in January when her ship was berthed in a port in Sharjah, a city that is part of the Dubai metropolitan area. She spent most of her free time shopping at the Mall of the Emirates, and was on her way back to the ship.“I was in a rush as my permit was about to finish so I took the defendant’s bus as it had a sign ‘for passenger transport,’” the woman told the court, according to the Gulf Times. “Ten minutes later he changed his route and stopped.”The driver, 21, parked the bus in a dark and quiet area, approached her as she was sitting in the back seat, and propositioned her for sex, prosecutors said. When she turned down his advances, he took out a knife and sexually assaulted the sailor, threatening to kill her and trying to rip her clothes off.A fight ensued in which the American woman wrestled the weapon from the attacker even as he was biting her hand, and broke the knife in two, the National reported. She got a stranglehold on the man’s neck with her legs, forcing him into submission, and fled shortly after.The sailor reported the incident to her superiors. Dubai police arrested the driver the next day as he was sleeping at his home. Prosecutors charged the man with attempted rape, assault, threatening to kill and consumption of alcohol.At the court hearing, the defendant confessed to being drunk on the day of the alleged attack, but denied remembering anything about the event. “It is true that I consumed liquor. I was very drunk so I couldn’t remember what I did on the bus,” he told the judge.It is unclear whether the man will face punishment for DUI.The court ordered that the defendant be examined to confirm his age after he failed to provide a birth certificate; the suspect is reportedly a Pakistani national. The trial will adjourn on May 1. … Read More
Canadian law enforcement confirmed Monday afternoon that authorities thwarted an alleged terror plot in Canada that targeted a Via Rail passenger train that operates between Toronto, Ontario and New York City in the United States.During Monday’s press conference, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) confirmed that they apprehended and charged two men earlier in the day that they believe unsuccessfully hatched what is being called a homegrown terror plot. The suspects now in custody have been named as Chiheb Esseghaier, 30, and Raed Jaser, residents of Montreal, Quebec and Toronto, Ontario, respectively.”We are alleging that these two individuals took steps and conducted activities to initiate a terrorist attack,” Jennifer Strachan, criminal operations officer for RCMP Ontario, said during Monday’s presser.The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation adds that the suspects were under investigation for over a year before brought into custody, and assistance was provided by entities on both sides of the border including the United States’ FBI and Department of Homeland Security Department, although the plot itself involved attacking a train on Canadian soil.Authorities do not believe the plot is related to the terrorist attack in Boston, Massachusetts last week that left three people dead, but do allege that the Canadian operation was to some extent supported by al-Qaeda.The suspects, say investigators, were spotted routinely monitoring train activity in the Toronto area. An arrest had originally been planned for three weeks earlier, but their apprehension was put on hold for reasons not yet known.Details on the suspects are scant as preliminary reports come in, but Robert Fife, chief of CTV’s Ottawa news bureau, says, “it does not appear to be a case of radicalization of youth.” … Read More
IMF chief Christine Lagarde has been summoned to appear before a court investigating alleged corruption during her time as a French government minister, her lawyer said Thursday. Lagarde has been ordered to appear before the court at the end of May to answer questions over her role in a scandal…
… Read More
The youths set tires on fire and threw rocks at Israeli soldiers, which used teargas to disperse the protesters.Violence erupted after Friday prayers in Silwa as hundreds of village men streamed past Israeli troops who tried to block their path. The Palestinians gathered in al-Zir’s apricot grove in protest.“Our land, its stones and its soil, is our right. Sleeping on it by night and tending to it by day, without fear of attacks by hateful settlers, is a matter of our very existence,” the local imam told the worshipers at Friday prayers. The outrage was sparked by the brutal beating of a 60-year-old former judge Ahmad al-Zir. Israelis allegedly attacked him with steel pipes as the man was tending his land between the Ofra settlement and the Palestinian village of Silwad on Thursday.“They were hitting him again and again on the head, cursing him and telling him to shut up,” said Mahmoud Hussein, a relative and an eyewitness of the alleged attack Reuters reports.Village youths tracked down the Israelis to their encampment and burned down one of their improvised homes. Israeli forces were sent to the scene late Thursday to disperse the angered Palestinians. They fired at the protesters, wounding two with live bullets, including one in the chest, medics said.IDF officials have described the incident as a “clash between Israeli and Palestinian civilians.” The alleged beating is under investigation, said an Israeli army spokesperson.Meanwhile, dozens of Palestinians suffered tear-gas inhalation during clashes near Mount Hebron in the West Bank after the Israeli troops attacked a weekly march against the closure of the road link between Hebron and its southern villages, the march coordinator told Ma’an. At least one person was reportedly struck by a tear-gas canister.The escalation comes amid disputes over the Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank where Palestinian youths frequently hurl stones at settlers’ cars and Israeli soldiers. There are some 120 official settlements, such as Ofra, and also more than 100 built without official authorization in the West Bank. … Read More