Last night, four Sunnis and one Alawite died in clashes, the Daily Star reported. The casualties raised this week’s death toll to 28.Fierce fighting has raged in Tripoli since last Sunday, with assailants firing rocket-propelled grenades, mortars and machine guns. The violence is seen as a spillover from the recently intensified fighting between rebels and government forces in Qusayr, Syria, near the border with Lebanon.Most of the clashes in Tripoli were between residents of the Sunni-majority Bab el-Tebbaneh district and the Alawite-majority Jabal Mohsen district. A third party in the conflict is the Lebanese Army, which has so far failed to quell the unrest.Although the clashes subsided in the morning, the area is still reportedly controlled by snipers.The week-long conflict brought life to a halt in Tripoli, home to 500,000 residents, with schools and shops closed because of the violence.This is not the first time Tripoli has witnessed an outbreak of violence between Sunnis supporting the Syrian rebels and pro-regime Alawites, the religious branch of Shia Islam to which Syrian President Bashar Assad belongs. The Lebanese Army deployed in the city last October to broker a ceasefire. …
http://www.youtube.com/v/Vw3BDTaejcw?version=3&f=videos&app=youtube_gdata Taken from - UN delegation arrives in Goma
Arab Spring becoming an Islamist Winter, says… 06/02/2013 15:59 CET
Israel says “all options on the table” over Iran 21/08/2012 15:34 CET
Full Interview with Israeli PM spokesman Mark Regev 21/08/2012 16:38 CET
Turkey calls on world to act against Syria in wake of… 13/05/2013 02:35 CET
Turkish government suspects Syrian involvement in… 12/05/2013 08:55 CET
There is fresh tension on the ceasefire line in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights. Syria says its troops have destroyed an Israeli vehicle which crossed into its territory.
Tel Aviv has denied the report, saying a vehicle was hit by gunfire on its side of the ceasefire line. Israel also says that it returned fire after the incident.
“First of all our policy on Syria is clear. We are not intervening there, in the civil
war,” said Moshe Yaalon, Israeli Defence Minister.
“But, as for the situation in the Golan
Heights, we are not allowing and we will not permit, a spillover of fire into our territory.
“Overnight, a Syrian army target was
destroyed after gunfire spilled into our
territory in the Golan Heights.”
The incident is the latest on an increasingly fraught frontier. Syria and Israel have traded fire on a number of occasions in recent weeks.
Copyright © 2013 euronews
The Israeli military said their troops had “returned precise fire” after a Syrian soldier allegedly caused damage to a military vehicle stationed in Golan Heights, near the border. The shots “most likely were stray bullets, we don’t know if it was intentional,” an Israeli spokesperson told AFP. There were no injuries following the initial shots.Soon after that the Syrian military declared in a televised statement that in response they had successfully targeted a further Israeli vehicle:”Our armed forces have destroyed an Israeli vehicle with everything that it had in it… The vehicle had crossed the ceasefire line and was moving towards the village of Bir Ajam, situated in the liberated Syrian zone [of the Golan].” Tel-Aviv denied the claims. Israel’s Army Radio however said the Tuesday incident was the third consecutive cross-border shooting this week and the military considers the incident to be concerning.Cross-border gunfire incidents have become a more frequent occurrence in recent months amid the ongoing Syrian civil war.Fire from the conflict within Syria has intermittently struck Golan Heights, with Israel generally accepting these incidents as accidental. However, Israel has occasionally retaliated for the bullets and infrequent mortar shells entering the border territory, which they captured from Syria in 1967.Airstrikes – attributed to Israel, but not confirmed – struck military posts in Syria at the beginning of May, with the blasts reportedly killing scores of soldiers.Israel has never made an official comment on the strikes, but only stated it would do everything against the prospect of its foes in Lebanon obtaining weapons smuggled through Syria.Russian President Vladimir Putin met Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Sochi exactly a week ago, with both agreeing that the two -year Syrian armed conflict, if continued, could lead to “disastrous consequences” for the region. …
“We’re open for talks with all Syrian opposition members, but I think a way to stop the violence won’t be found in Moscow or any other foreign capital, only in direct talks between the opposition and the Syrian government,” Sergey Lavrov said on Friday.“Arming non-governmental players violates international law. It’s not the time to pour oil on the fire of the Syrian conflict. For all outside players it’s time to push all parties – the Syrian government and various opposition groups, political and military – and force them to announce a ceasefire and sit down for talks. Arming the Syrian rebels is betting on a military solution and not a political settlement,” he added. Earlier this week, during his visit to Hungary, Lavrov said that although Russia’s and America’s stances regarding the Syrian problem play an important role, not everything depends on the two countries.“It’s important that all [other] outer players without any exception work on the accomplishment of the agreements reached in Geneva,” Lavrov stated on Thursday. “First and foremost, I’m referring to the refusal of the preliminary conditions and contrived pretexts for dragging direct negotiations between Syrian and the opposition,” he said. Moscow adheres to the Geneva Communique which was adopted by the Action Group for Syria in June to ensure a better solution to the Syrian crisis. Agreed by a number of states, including Russia and the United States, it calls for both sides of the conflict to honor a ceasefire and enter into negotiations. However, Russia doesn’t support Washington’s plan of Assad stepping down being the key step towards peace in the war-torn country.“There’s a difference of opinion between Russia and the United States with respect to when or how Assad might leave. I don’t think there’s a difference of opinion that his leaving may either be inevitable or necessary to be able to have a solution,” the US Secretary of State John Kerry said at the meeting in NATO headquarters in Brussels.Meanwhile, Russia has accused Western nations of blocking a series of peace efforts, warning that if the status quo continues, Syria comes to grips with a radical Islamist threat.“Over the last months, there is a growing understanding of real threats we will all face if this status quo maintains, if all efforts to build dialogue will be hindered and blocked by the minority of the international community, which is very aggressive and very bloodthirsty,” Lavrov said.UN ‘politicizing’ Syria chemical weapons issue In March the Syrian government said the rebels used a rocket with a chemical warhead in Aleppo, in the northwest of the country, killing 25 people, including soldiers, and injuring over 80. Unconfirmed reports released in foreign media claimed that chemical weapons might have been used in several parts of Syria. The message came in the form of a letter, claiming that soil samples, witness interviews and statements from opposition sources supported the idea that nerve agents had been used in and around Aleppo, Homs and Damascus. Lavrov suggested that UN chemical weapons inspectors examine specific allegations of chemical weapons use and accused the allies of politicizing the issue.“Under continued pressure from certain Western members of the Security Council, the general-secretary has not dispatched the experts, and I consider this absolutely unacceptable. It’s an attempt to politicize the issue,” he stated. In April the UK and France addressed UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon with allegations that Syria allegedly used chemical weapons on multiple occasions since December, according to reports emerging from top diplomats and officials. Syria is one of the few countries that hasn’t signed the Chemical Weapons Convention, which internationally bans their use. The message came in the form of a letter claiming that soil samples, witness interviews and statements from opposition sources supported the idea that nerve agents had been used in and around in the northwest of the country, Aleppo, as well as in the city of Homs and the capital, Damascus. Assad’s administration has repeatedly denied the allegations, insisting that the rebels were behind the Aleppo attack on March 19. Following the Aleppo incident, Barack Obama warned that any use of chemical attacks by the Assad government would constitute crossing a “red line”. The US president added that he had “instructed [his] teams to work closely with all other countries in the region and international organizations and institutions to find out precisely whether this red line was crossed.” Meanwhile in late April, John Kerry announced that the US would double its non-lethal military aid to Syria’s rebels. The US $123 million defense aid package was announced by the Secretary of State at the meeting in Istanbul. He said the new non-lethal military supplies would go beyond the current provisions of food rations and medical kits. Since February, the US has shipped food and medical supplies to the Free Syrian Army, which according to the White House has so far cost an estimated $117 million. The Syrian National Coalition has also declared it firmly rejects “all forms of terrorism.” After German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle stressed that the Syrian opposition must distance itself from “terrorist and extremist” forces, the SNC vowed to guarantee that any weapons it receives will not “fall into the wrong hands.” Damascus has repeatedly labeled the rebels fighting to oust Assad as “terrorists” sponsored by foreign powers. Bashar Assad maintained that the foreign element had played a key role since the outbreak of the Syrian crisis. According to the UN, the violence in Syria has now killed more than 70,000 people and despite international pressure Assad has managed to retain power for far longer than expected by those advocating him to stand down. …
There were no casualties from the strike, according to the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine.A ceasefire between Israel and Gaza was reached in early November last year after an eight-day conflict.However, the truce was broken at the beginning of April when the latest Israeli airstrike on Gaza took place.DETAILS TO FOLLOW …
The two mobile missile transporter-erector-launchers (TEL) enhanced the ballistic missile division in South Hamgyeong Province where seven more TELs were deployed earlier in April, according to Yonhap. Also, two mid-range Musudan missile complexes have been positioned near city of Wonsan, a mere 180km away from the South Korean capital, Seoul.South Korea is “closely watching” any suspicious activities of its north neighbor, the agency adds.Pyongyang has been escalating war rhetoric against Seoul urging foreign diplomats to leave the zone of possible armed conflict.The South Korean army grew worried of a possible missile launch on April 15, when North Korea was celebrating the 101st anniversary of the nation’s founder Kim Il-sung. However, nothing evolved, not even a military parade – the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) merely issued another statement demanding “apologies” from Seoul.Back in March Pyongyang cancelled the Korean War ceasefire agreement after the US and its “puppet South Korea” went on with their joint drills, when some 10,000 US troops and 200,000 South Korean soldiers took part in the exercises.The US responded to with deploying its B-2 stealth bombers, F-22 fifth-generation fighter jets, the destroyer USS Fitzgerald, equipped with an Aegis counter-ballistic missile system, to South Korea, also strengthening its missile defenses in the region.To that Pyongyang, decrying ‘provocations’, declared it had final approval for pre-emptive nuclear strikes on US bases in the Pacific and South Korea.Russia has condemned North Korea’s behavior as “unacceptable,” but has been trying to maintain a diplomatic position throughout the crisis.Last week Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov shared belief that there is a chance that the North Korea crisis could “calm down by itself.”“No one should intimidate anyone with any military maneuvers,” Lavrov stressed.Pyongyang’s most recent muscle-flexing comes after the US Secretary of State John Kerry’s statement made on April 12 during his visit to Seoul. Kerry said there will be no talks between Washington and Pyongyang unless North Korea makes tangible steps to abandon its nuclear weapons program.Earlier North Korea’s Rodong Sinmun newspaper wrote that talks with the US are possible but not on the denuclearization of the DPRK.”The US should not think about the denuclearization on the [Korean] Peninsula before the world is denuclearized,” the newspaper commented.Just last Thursday South Korean’s Chief of National Security Kim Jang-soo announced that Pyongyang is not capable of conducting a full-scale war on the Korean Peninsula, though localized ‘provocations’ are still possible.Now the US-backed South Korea awaits a possible launch of a DPRK missile on April 25. On that date, a military parade in Pyongyang called to demonstrate country’s military might and decisiveness might require a more substantial argument in a 60-year-old dispute.In 2005, the DPRK signed a denuclearization deal to give up nuclear research in exchange for aid. Later Pyongyang backed out of the pact, naming its nuclear arms a “treasured sword” to be kept at hand. …