For the last few years, Facebook had a slightly odd nod toward corporate democracy. If a change to the agreements it …
It was only a matter of time before Anonymous, the hacker collective known for being protectors of the free Internet, jumped into the revenge porn fray. Last night they announced #OpHuntHunter, an offshoot of the group’s anti-bullying operation that seeks to “hold Hunter Moore accountable for his actions.”
Mr. Moore enraged and frightened privacy advocates (and anyone who has ever taken a nude selfie) last week when he told us that his new site, HunterMoore.TV, would include an address submission field where users can submit addresses alongside naked photos of their exes. Though he’s since gone back on that claim, Anonymous has taken it upon themselves to dox Mr. Moore, publishing personal information such as his home address and the name of his parents. They’ve also published the personal info of Andrew Myers, the proprietor of Is Anyone Up copycat site Is Anyone Back.
In the release, Anonymous writes:
This is a call to all of anonymous. We Will hold hunter moore accountable for his actions, we will protect anyone who is victimized by abuse of our internet, we will prevent the stalking, rape, and possible murders as byproduct of his sites.
Operation Anti-Bully. Operation Hunt Hunter engaged. We are Anonymous, we are Legion, we do not Forgive, we do not Forget, Hunter Moore, EXPECT US.
It’s an interesting move by Anonymous, which is known for “doxing” people–publishing their personal info–much in the same way Mr. Moore’s new site will. Still, given its powerful anti-bullying stance in the wake of Amanda Todd’s suicide, Anonymous’ attack on revenge porn seems like a natural next step.
We’ve reached out to Mr. Moore for his reaction to Anonymous’ news, and will update when we hear back.
Anonymous Message to Hunter Moore from kentucky anon on Vimeo. …
Who has the right to use platforms like Facebook and Twitter? On Thursday, a federal judge emphatically sided with Facebook against an adware company that wanted to use the site for its own ends.Read More…
More on Facebook
Yesterday news broke that porn prince Hunter Moore has unofficially launched his new “revenge porn” site, HunterMoore.tv. From a notice on the site, it seemed that Moore’s Porn 2.0 venture might differ from his original, Is Anyone Up, which hosted nude shots of people submitted by anonymous users. But in a follow-up interview last night with Betabeat’s Jessica Roy, the deeply reviled porn pusher said that his new site will feature the same content as the old one, minus the “legally questionable” content that put him in a lot of hot water the first time around. “I have nerds for days,” said Moore. ”I have nerds on nerds. I have so many secret servers. I got shit in Switzerland, Australia, Canada. All that stuff’s accessible it’s just on a different domain.”Scarier yet, though, is what Moore plans to add to all of the nude pics: home addresses. “All these people that thought they were safe: nah, it’s all gonna be back,” he said. “We’re gonna introduce the mapping stuff so you can stalk people.” Moore insists that he is within his legal rights because he’s posting user submitted content.In any case, let’s all hope that the FBI is still sniffing around. Continue Reading… …
32 killed, some 100 wounded in Iraqi bomb attacksGet short URLLink copied to clipboardemail story to a friendprint versionPublished: 29 November, 2012, 12:29
Edited: 29 November, 2012, 17:01
A man inspects at the site of a car bomb attack in Kerbala, 80 km (50 miles) southwest of Baghdad, November 29, 2012 (Reuters / Mushtaq Muhammed)A car bomb and two roadside bombs in Iraq killed at least 32 and wounded dozens more on Thursday. All the blasts were targeting Shiite-populated areas south of Baghdad.Residents gather at the site of a bomb attack in Hilla, 100 km (60 miles) south of Baghdad, November 29, 2012 (Reuters / Stringer Iraq)Residents inspect the site of a bomb attack in Hilla, 100 km (60 miles) south of Baghdad, November 29, 2012 (Reuters / Stringer Iraq)”);
Two roadside bombs in the city of Hilla blew up a group of Shiite pilgrims, leaving at least 26 people dead and several dozen wounded. The bombs struck a commercial area of the city during a busy period.Another attack happened in the shrine city of Karbala, 90 kilometers to the south of Baghdad. A car bomb killed 6 civilians and wounded 20, some of them police officers.A police spokesman said all roads to Karbala are closed and police are searching the city for another car bomb.Every year millions of pilgrims visit the city of Karbala for Ashura commemorations, marking Hussein’s death in 680 AD. This year commemorations fell on November 25. Ashura commemorations are followed by a 40-day mourning period which also attracts thousands of pilgrims to Karbala.The majority of the Iraqi population are Shiite Muslims. Insurgents from the Sunni minority are regularly targeting Shiites in terror attacks.On Tuesday three car bombs, targeting Shiite places of worship and a funeral in the Shuala district of Baghdad, killed 23 civilians.Municipality workers clean debris at the site of a bomb attack in Kerbala, 80 km (50 miles) southwest of Baghdad, November 29, 2012 (Reuters / Mushtaq Muhammed)R
esidents gather at the site of a bomb attack in Hilla, 100 km (60 miles) south of Baghdad, November 29, 2012 (Reuters / Stringer Iraq)Residents inspect the site of a bomb attack in Hilla, 100 km (60 miles) south of Baghdad, November 29, 2012 (Reuters / Stringer Iraq) …