Reporters Without Borders expresses outrage at the Abu Dhabi appeals court confirmation of the 10-month prison sentence of netizen Abdullah Al-Hadidi. The appeals court made its ruling on 22 May. Arrested on 22 March, Al-Hadidi was convicted in a lower court in April of having disseminated information on Twitter “in bad faith.” The information concerned the trial of 94 UAE citizens accused of endangering national security. Al-Hadidi was charged under a new cyber-crime law adopted in late (…) …
A spokesman for the US prison on Cuba confirmed that authorities have also denied access to social networks such as Facebook and Twitter through military computers because of the hackers’ ‘Operation Guantanamo’.Follow RT’s day-by-day timeline of the Gitmo hunger strike.Army Lt. Col. Samuel House told the AP the decision to block online access was made because of threats to disrupt activities at the base allegedly made by the international group Anonymous. So far there have been no reports of disruptions.Last Friday, Anonymous kicked off a global on-line protest to mark the 100th day of the hunger strike by prisoners protesting their conditions and indefinite detention at the US base. The three day campaign was intended to raise awareness of the human rights violations at Guantanamo, which include the indefinite detention of prisoners, many of whom have been cleared for release years ago. The series of “twitterstorms, email bombs and fax bombs” saw hashtags #OpGITMO and #GTMO skyrocket in popularity on Twitter, with thousands of Twitter users joining in every few seconds.Activist groups demanding the closure of the Guantanamo Bay prison marked the 100th day of a hunger strike at the detention facility by last week submitting a petition to the White House that had some 370,000 signatures.Richard Killmer, executive director of the National Religious Campaign Against Torture, said that “years of detention without charge or trial have created a sense of desperation and hopelessness among the men at Guantanamo, which has led over 100 of them to join a hunger strike,” AFP quoted him as saying.Clive Stafford Smith, a British attorney representing some of the detainees being held since 2002 at Guantanamo, also urged the Twitter community on behalf of one of his clients, Shakar Aamer, to take action against the notorious prison. Unclassified (please retweet): Shaker Aamer would like everyone to call US Embassy 020 7499-9000 to demand action on Guantanamo Bay — Clive Stafford Smith (@CliveSSmith) May 20, 2013 The message has been retwitted over 280 times.As of Monday, the military said 103 of the 166 prisoners were participating in the hunger strike, which has continued for over 100 days. Some 30 of them are still being force fed – a practice condemned as ‘torture’ by the United Nations human rights office. At the same time, closed door military tribunals continue amid claims of secret monitoring of client conversations with lawyers, as well as censorship of some court testimony. …
http://www.youtube.com/v/Ucb2iyPI1nE?version=3&f=videos&app=youtube_gdata Jump to original: Nigel Farage: I hope taxpayers all over Europe listen to this…
“60 people have been taken to the hospital. There are five people in critical condition, one in very critical condition,” said Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy via Twitter on Friday evening.Friday evening Amtrak announced the indefinite suspension of service from New York City to Boston due to the rail obstruction caused when a train heading south from New Haven derailed and struck an inbound train around 6:10pm Eastern Time. The resulting impact caused some of the cars on the second train to derail as well. Witnesses at the scene immediately began posting images of emergency response vehicles, and some of the injured being taken away by ambulances. Though no fatalities were reported, one passenger described a graphic scene following the accident, and officials had confirmed 60 people were injured, with five in a critical condition and one considered very critical. “I saw this one car and it was completely destroyed and they were pulling people out of the car,” said Brian Alvarez, a witness to the crash who spoke to CNN. “… They were all bloody,” he added.Rob Oliver, a passenger on board the train that was struck, told ABC News that he heard, “a tremendous amount of metal and just an extremely loud sound.” “We suddenly were screeching to a stop, but you knew it wasn’t a screech-normal stop … because there was just an awful burning smell and the cabin was filling with smoke,” said Oliver.The US National Transportation Safety Board was reported to be sending a team to investigate the incident, and was to take charge going forward. Bridgeport Mayor Bill Finch later told reporters that the crash would seriously disrupt travel for the communities serviced by the rail line. “This is our pipeline to New York City, and it’s going to be shut down for some time,” said Finch. “And it’s going to cost this region a great deal of money, frankly, not just to repair it but the lost wages and the lost economy,” he added. According to the mayor, workers will need remove the stricken trains, as well as the tracks, mend the rail bed, then lay down the tracks again. …
Protests in Shanghai against pollution 11/05/2013 17:34 CET
China: Halt to plant expansion doesn’t stop protests 29/10/2012 13:13 CET
Chinese anti-chemical protests dispersed 27/10/2012 11:23 CET
Chinese manufacturing picks up 21/03/2013 15:22 CET
‘Airpocalypse’ smog in China 01/03/2013 12:00 CET
More than two thousand people have held a rally protesting against a planned chemical plant in southern China.
It is the second demonstration this month against the project.
Amateur footage on Weibo, the Chinese version of Twitter showed a strong police presence.
“They have chosen a project that will create lots of pollution,” said one protester. “It will destroy our environment and our homeland and only benefit the owners.”
The plant is due for Kunming city and is expected to produce a chemical used in the making of fabrics and plastic bottles.
It has been approved by China’s National Development and Reform Commission but since then opposition to the project has grown.
Analysts say China’s increasingly affluent urban population has begun to object to “growth at all costs” giving environmental issues more of a priority.
Copyright © 2013 euronews
http://www.youtube.com/v/A-h12exUE-U?version=3&f=videos&app=youtube_gdata Read the article - Anonymous – Fake Anons