Italy: Berlusconi tax fraud conviction upheld 09/05/2013 00:35 CET
‘No scenes of a sexual nature’ claims Berlusconi 19/10/2012 12:54 CET
‘I did not have sex with that woman,’ Berlusconi… 19/10/2012 19:55 CET
Italy: six-year jail term demanded at Berlusconi sex… 14/05/2013 00:36 CET
‘Rubygate’ prosecutors want Berlusconi banned from… 13/05/2013 19:35 CET
She is the Moroccan woman at the centre of a sex scandal involving former Italian Prime Minister, Silvio Berlusconi.
In court, Karima el-Mahroug testified for the first time describing Berlusconi’s so-called ‘Bunga Bunga’ parties. She said a young woman danced while dressed as a Catholic nun and then stripped for the then Prime Minister.
But today’s trial is separate from one in which the 76-year-old is charged with paying for sex with an underage prostitute and covering it up, which he denies.
Away from the media mogul, the trial focused on three of his former aides charged with soliciting Ruby and other women for prostitution.
Nicole Minetti, former show girl turned politician, Italian talent agent Lele Mora and former news programme director, Emilio Fede, the third defendant. All three deny the charges.
Both Berlusconi and Ms el-Mahroug known as ‘Ruby the heart stealer’ deny having had sex. She admits receiving 7,000 euros after a party but claims it was merely a gift.
More about: Italy, Justice, Silvio Berlusconi, Trial
Copyright © 2013 euronews
… Read More
The bodies were found on Tuesday in Verkhnyaya Pyshma in the Sverdlovsk region by staff at the store. Past inspections of the store by local officials had failed to uncover the gruesome find.The bodies were reportedly said to be in bag bearing the logo of another food store in a nearby town.On Thursday Irina, a 30 year old woman, was detained. The woman almost instantly admitted to the killing.“The detainee admitted that she gave birth to two boys in 2008 in a rented apartment, after that she put her sons in a refrigerator at home,” head of the press service of the Interior Ministry’s local department, Valery Gorelyh noted. Forensic experts said that children were born alive and died of hypothermia, as there were traces of oxygen in their lungs. “After the babies died and got frozen, Irina transferred the two boys to the food store where she worked at the time, and hid them in a freezer ,” Gorelyh added.Currently Irina lives with her elderly mother and a nine-year old daughter. She has been successfully working in the trade sector for a long time. On Friday she was released, but had to sign an agreement she would not be leaving Russia till the investigation and trial finished.Irina says she did not want the children and hid her pregnancy from colleagues and even her family, giving birth without anyone’s help, as tabloid KP.ru reports.“She is now very depressed. She cannot explain the reason she kept them in the freezer, she throws up her hands and says she didn’t know what to do with them. That’s why she carried the bodies from one freezer to another, wandering around the town with plastic bags,” the head of the criminal investigation of the Interior Ministry’s local department Alexander Mazaev told local 4-1 channel.The woman will be charged with up to 5 years in prison under the article ‘Murder of a newborn by mother’. Her guilt and sentencing is likely to hinge on whether experts deem her sane. … Read More
Four more confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus (nCoV) see the total number of infected in Saudi Arabia reach 28 since the disease was first identified in 2012. Ten more people have been reported to have nCoV in other parts of the world – Jordan, Germany, Britain and France.One of the freshly-confirmed sick Saudis had already been treated and released from hospital, while three others are still receiving medical assistance, according to the Saudi Press Agency, cited by Reuters. This surge in the number of detected nCoV cases could result from the fact that overwhelming numbers of Saudis, even those with slightest fever symptoms, have rushed to hospitals for fears of the new virus, which has been deadliest in Saudi Arabia, claiming 15 lives. The disease’s global death toll is 18.”I did not send my son to school because of the fear of the spread of the virus,” said one Saudi woman interviewed by AFP. The news of the four new Saudi nCoV cases, comes a day after the second case of coronavirus was detected in France, where the disease transmitted between hospital roommates. The one initially suffering from the coronavirus was infected while on a Middle East tour.The WHO is ringing alarm bells, labeling the new coronavirus as “major challenge for all of the countries which have been affected as well as the rest of the world.”The statement on the whole is more about questions than answers, as there are “many gaps in our knowledge that will inevitably take time to fill in” according to Gregory Härtl, WHO media coordinator.Among the facts available is that the new coronavirus comes from the same family as SARS, which killed 775 people in 2003 and saw 8,000 infected. Initial symptoms of nCoV are flu-like and include a fever above 38°C, as well as coughing and sore throat.Those infected by nCoV are mostly “older men, often with other medical conditions” and the disease is transmitted from person to person only when there’s prolonged close contact between people.Experts meanwhile try to assess the real danger, noting the new virus is far less explosive than SARS, but its death rate among detected cases is almost 50 per cent. The question however is how many milder cases of the disease go undetected.The nCoV coronavirus is the new disease to become center of international attention. There are fears it will reach the scale of other similar diseases, like bird flu, which took 371 lives since 2003 or swine flu which saw more than 18,000 dead in its 2009 outbreak.All of these figures, however, pale in comparison with the annual death toll from common flu.“Seasonal influenza epidemics can affect up to 15 per cent of the population and result in up to 500 000 deaths worldwide each year”, according to WHO’s 2011 report.The real killer, however, does not make headlines and is not something the pharmaceutical industry announces a crusade against.All attention is usually on the new viruses, with often excessive advertising campaigns for preventing and curing them.The most notable and controversial was the case with Swiss-produced Tamiflu. Back at the time of the swine flu pandemic, four years ago, it was pronounced cure number one for the disease. People were sweeping the drug from pharmacies’ shelves, governments stockpiled it.Then came the eye-opener – a study published in the British Medical Journal in December 2009 found no evidence that Tamiflu lowered the risk of flu complications. The Council of Europe eventually wanted WHO to be called to account, and possibly admit that the swine flu threat was blown out of proportion. Overblown or not, the swine flu panic landed an estimated US$18 billion in the pockets of pharmaceutical companies’ owners. … Read More
Volunteers are on Sunday set to continue the search for a 20-year-old woman who went missing near Boden in northern Sweden last week while police investigate a suspected abduction. … Read More
A search is underway off Australia for a couple who fell overboard into shark-infested waters from a cruise ship returning to Sydney from a Pacific tour. The 30-year-old man and 27-year-old woman were reported missing from the Carnival Spirit liner after it docked at Circular Quay in Sydney on…
… Read More
Microsoft named Amy Hood as its chief financial officer, the first woman to hold the job. She was most recently the chief financial officer of the business division, which oversees Office applications. … Read More