Forty-year-old Darrell Dishon wasn’t an oyster fan. Before June of 2009, he’d never even tried one. So when his wife Nicole proposed splitting a dozen raw shellfish at a restaurant in Panama City, Fla., where the two were vacationing, he was leery.
Nicole remembers eating 10. She says Darrell ate two.
A day later, Dishon — a quality inspector at a heavy machinery plant outside Cincinnati — started vomiting and getting diarrhea. He got worse over the next few hours. Nicole urged him to go to the hospital. After confirming that Dishon had eaten raw oysters and conducting lab tests, the doctors delivered the awful news that he had contracted a form of vibriosis, one of the most deadly foodborne illnesses in the world.